Are you interested in getting involved? There are many ways that you can make a difference right now in Easttown Township!
PHONE BANKING & POSTCARD WRITING
Due to COVID, the main volunteer opportunities are in phone banking whether for local, regional, or national campaigns. It’s easy, you can do it from your home whenever you have time, and every call helps to elect Democrats and progressive candidates. There’s no minimum number of calls or time required. Typically, the phone banks will provide you with a script to use when calling voters. All you need is a phone, an internet connection, and a PC or tablet. Here are several phone banks for you to join:
- Biden Harris Campaign in PA – Pennsylvania is a battleground state and is literally a “keystone” state needed for the Biden/Harris ticket to win the presidency and end the Trump nightmare. Make calls for Biden/Harris
- Re-Elect Chrissy Houlahan to US Congress – Our very own Devon resident from Easttown Township is running for her first re-election. Let’s get everyone out and Volunteer for Chrissy Houlahan.
- Re-Elect Representative Kristine Howard to the PA State Legislature – In November 2018, we elected Kristine Howard to represent us in Harrisburg. Back to Blue, a state-wide organization supporting PA Democrats, has set up a phone bank for Kristine (PA House district 167). You select the days and times that work for you. Back to Blue will provide the script and help you get started. Here is a link to get signed up: https://www.mobilize.us/backtobluepa/event/284169/
- Turn the PA State House Blue – We should also recognize that Kristine and other Democrats in the PA House are fighting an uphill battle. The Republicans control the PA House… they decide what issues get hearings and what bills get votes. It is time to change the playing field… we need to flip nine Republican seats in the PA House to take control of the PA House. And we can do it! We flipped TEN Republican seats in 2018 (including Kristine’s). Here is information on three PA House races with links to sign up for phone bank (most days from 12 – 8pm and Sundays from 12 – 6pm). Note that you select the days and times that work for you. Back to Blue will provide the script and help you get started. There are three Chester County PA House races where you can help:
- 26th House district (Northwest Chester County – Honeybrook) – Paul Friel (D) is running to unseat Tim Hennessey (R – incumbent). https://www.mobilize.us/backtobluepa/event/285166/
- 160th House district (South Chester County – Kennett Square) – Anton Andrew (D) is running against Craig Williams (R) https://www.mobilize.us/backtobluepa/event/284137
- 168th House district (Delaware County) – Deb Ciamacca (D) is running to unseat Chris Quinn (R – incumbent). Deb is a former, and very popular, Conestoga High School teacher, known to many Easttown residents. https://www.mobilize.us/backtobluepa/event/284192/
- Moms Demand Action Gun Sense Action Group – Call voters in key states to provide education about upcoming elections and help elect a gun sense majority who will ACT to prevent gun violence.
- Progressive Turnout Project – Progressive Turnout Project is a grassroots-funded organization with a single mission: get Democrats to the polls. They design, test, and execute specialized voter turnout programs targeting inconsistent Democratic voters in the most competitive districts in the country.
- Justice Democrats -Volunteer for Justice Democrats which recruits and supporting progressive Democrats all over the country, starting with Congress.
- Swing Left Pennsylvania – Their primary objectives in Pennsylvania are to: 1) win the state’s 20 Electoral College votes and 2) break Republican control of the state legislature by flipping one or both chambers. Write letters or postcards to traditionally underrepresented registered voters in Pennsylvania who they believe are relatively unlikely to vote.
- 350 – 350 is building a future that’s just, prosperous, equitable and safe from the effects of the climate crisis. To reach as many voters as they can, they need volunteers to call and text voters with important information on voter registration and vote by mail – then remind them to cast their ballots when it counts. Join the 350 Get Out The Vote Team.
Attend an Easttown Dems’ Meeting
On the third Thursday of every month, from September through May, we usually meet from 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM. All registered Democrats are welcome. We typically meet in the Easttown Township Building (ADA complaint and accessible) on Beaumont Road in Devon. Check our calendar to confirm dates. Due to Covid, our meetings are now being held virtually so check our calendar pages for information on how to join the meeting virtually.
Ways to Volunteer at Election Time
- Canvass Door-to-Door, Distribute Literature, Help at Events
We need dozens of volunteers to help our Get Out The Vote (GOTV) efforts this Fall from September up-until election day. Please email us at Volunteer@EasttownDems.org if you’re interested and we’ll get in touch with you. We really need the help whether you have one hour or many hours. It’s fun, you’ll meet some fellow Easttown neighbors, and you’ll be helping elect some terrific candidates this Fall. Due to Covid, many of these activities are on hold.
- Be A Block Captain for Your Street or Neighborhood
Block Captains roles are mostly needed for a few weeks before the Spring Primary and a few weeks before the November General Election. Block Captains only have to focus on the block they live by distributing literature about candidates to their neighbor’s doors. Click for more details about the role of the Block Captain. It’s not a huge time commitment but it is a great help in the weeks before election day. Please contact your precinct’s Committee People or send us a message using the form below to participate.
- Be a Greeter or Poll Watcher on Election Day
Every election day, the Easttown Democratic Committee works hard to staff the polling sites in all 7 precincts with greeters and poll watchers. Volunteering for a 2 or 3-hour shift on election day is a big help! Contact your Precinct Committee People to serve in one of these roles. Greeters are usually located just outside the voting area to hand out sample ballots and candidate information. Poll watchers help promote transparency and openness — not through their actions so much as by simply being in the room where the votes are cast. Pennsylvania allows poll watchers on behalf of both the candidates and the political parties, so long as the watchers are registered to vote in the same jurisdiction.
- Host a Meet-and-Greet at Your Home or Attend One in Easttown!
Casual gatherings at our homes are a great way to connect candidates with voters. If you would like to host an informal event for your Democratic neighbors and candidates, contact your precinct Committee Person. When news of these events are posted on the Easttown Dems’ newsletter or website, or you get an invitation from a neighbor, try to attend. In addition to the beer and pretzels, it’s a really wonderful opportunity to meet candidates and Democratic neighbors in a casual and friendly setting. Due to Covid, these types of events will probably not occur this Fall.
- Put Up Campaign Signs in Your Yard in Late October
Contact your precinct committee person and they’ll personally drop off signs for Democratic candidates. We’re particularly interested in having every Democratic house in Easttown displaying a Chrissy Houlahan for Congress sign to show how Easttowners support their own! Let’s blanket Easttown in a sea of Houlahan campaign signs!
- Join an Easttown Board or Commission
If you’re interested in joining any of the many Easttown boards and commissions, please let us know and start attending some of the meetings. Learn more about the 39 appointments to Easttown Boards and Commissions.
Complete Our Volunteer Form and Let Us Know Your Interests
We are always searching for new people to help us with fundraising, Election Day activities, door knocking, communications, web design, outreach and more! We welcome your talents and interest! Fill out the Volunteer Form below and let us know how you would like to help our efforts!